.

.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Mono for Greg, Space Thanks to Carol and Camaraderie from Antrese & Friends


Since one of my friends rightly pointed out, one does not eat an orange with a spoon, I have decided to title this week’s still life in his honor...


Greg’s Breakfast
monochromatic study in watercolor 
8”x8”




Here’s on of my reference photo to help with tones and composition.  I paint from the real deal more and more as the week goes on...


Obviously, the background is waaaaaaay too dark here.  Perhaps it is the  navy cloth (wanted to see how it will work out), or maybe it is because I decided to use a more raking light. But to help with cast and fold shadows I am using the exposure tool at highest setting in my photo editing software to help me see them better. 

 Love modern technology!


  
Also thanks to Carol Marine’s book, Daily Painting, I am also using my studio space more efficiently.







And another cool thing to keep me painting is a new podcast that I just stumbled across.  Again courtesy of modern technology...




The Savvy Painter with Antrese Woods.  This is a very inspiring collection of conversations with real artists, who are doing the same kind of thing that I am trying (or at least hoping to aspire) to.  I love that these are actual people with no pretensions who discuss real life issues all artists deal with such as materials, subject matter, techniques, marketing and frustrations.   Definitely not the stuff we heard about at the university level.  

Thanks so much Antrese for keeping me company in the studio...  

And thank you internet revolution for making all of this possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment