.

.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

“Matchmaker, Matchmaker...” Color the Traditional Way

One thing I am learning over and over again this year of Academy-On-A-Budget, it is just a sequence of the obvious that makes for masterful technique.


                                           It’s all in the sequencing boys


In other words, "Duh...why didn’t I think of that ?" or more accurately, "Duh...why didn’t I put those together in that order?"




Well better late then never, right?










So with the help of my two AOAB master teachers, Colin Ferguson and Christopher Wynn, I am learning not only how to mix, the possible combinations but WHEN to mix them.

This is where these lovely cards come in as my Duhoooh moment...

Color swatches and Recipes



Of course you paint a swatch to the edge so you can compare it to the real thing by holding it close to the actual object!

Guess




Mix  
(tiny portions first so as not to waste any paint)




Confirm
holding up the swatch to match...I needed to go a smidge lighter....

then write down the recipe and keep all the sheets.  With the longer view of all this stuff in the still life, I have about 10 pages of paint swatches and their recipes





So it seems to be working but man does it take a WHOLE lotta time!  Especially when it comes to remixing it all, the mixing lights and darks.  Wow those old masters have patience and persistence!


No comments:

Post a Comment