.

.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Value


First a quickie walk through of my latest still life...


...sketching from observation...



with oils I like to work with the figures first


...putting down the underlayer with a lot of liquin...





...grisaille in the objects...








Now a quicker walk through with my palette. This shows how I work with tone...


First it is light to dark with adjustment for dabs of paint in-between...


...mixing them and comparing with the nearby value scale to make each step in equal to the others...


...sometimes mixing in between values if I feel the composition needs it (and drapery ALWAYS needs it!)....



...adding more paint as I use up the first batch (and comparing with the existing splotches to make sure I make an accurate match)...


Finally time for clean-up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment