.

.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Joy of Trashing Your Own Art

As mentioned in the last post, I am getting into my studio on a regular basis and loving it!   But it did not just happen on its own.

file image 1870s illustration

I thought it would be a great review(at least for me personally) to write about how this came about.  It was a confluence of several art resources that I regularly reference.  Prologue  of which is just getting my children out the door to school...

First is an amazing blog, ArtBizCoach.  Alyson Stanfield does a bang up job in helping me to refocus and push forward, both artistically and with my marketing. Bucket list item:  take one of her workshops with added bonus of visiting one of my favorite places on the planet-Colorado

In a post this summer she asks what do other artists do with the old inventory that no longer speaks to them and in true creative fashion, turns it into a fun contest.  Here is that post,  The Best Idea for Unloading for Unsold Art.  The winner has a party where she has a big bonfire and burns her excess work.

file image


Wow how freeing is that? 
(Okay a little creepy and destructive but also liberating.)


So I did just that a few weeks ago with out the fanfare.  In fact, I made sure no one else was home so I would not have to listen to any spousal protests or children's declarations of my weirdness.  My dogs did enjoy it so maybe I will expand my guest list next time.

It forced me to thoroughly clean my studio and added bonus:  student files were found that should have already been destroyed.  No I am not a pyromaniac in the making but it is incredibly cleansing to know this stuff is gone forever (except for digital files) and then have a blank slate to work with.

PS  I also added to the cleansing by taking down lot of the artist cards and even photo of special people and filed them away for the time being.  They are waaaay to precious to every consider burning but having blank studio walls helps with the creative flow and focus.

PPS The added extra bonus of finding gems like this underneath all the art clutter...

Learn to Draw the Human Figure with Mary Jo and Jon Gnagy

Which led to my next step in getting back into my art groove

No comments:

Post a Comment