.

.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Homemade Pochade Box Update!


Well it took a bit a finagling (a very fancy art word there ;) But I was able to make three very functional pochade boxes at the fraction of cost of buying one new!  (FYI a pochade is a very small box that carries all necessary painting supplies and is used for on side observational work.  It can be on a table, the artist's lap or even on a tripod)


Pochade #1 on its very first trial run while attached to a tripod

Outside storms made inside study necessary.  I was able to switch very easily between watercolor and acrylic with this set up.



Last week's art supplies.  
Gave my brushes and paints a little break.




Sentimental Pochade

The best thing about this Pochade?  It was originally an art project done by my son a looooong time ago.  



It even has a little inspirational not he wrote in it too! You other mommies, aunts, daddies, teachers etc...know how much this means to me!!!



Thanks to alot of other clear descriptions and photographs, I was able to make mine to the specs that I wanted.

Note the rare earth magnets on the shelf above and lid below... would not have bought them just for this, I had them from a former exhibit.  But they have come in handy many times over. Since these magnets are very strong and easily moved around, I use them to hold the paper in place and even the water container and small palettes from sliding off the work shelf.



Ugly Yet Functional Lid Stop

One of the hardest parts was coming up with the lid stop.  I used a fortner bit and made my drill act like a coping saw (probably not the best for long term wear and tear BTW) to make this one adjustable.  While it is not the prettiest it is functional and that is what I was going for (which also explains the duct tape hinges...)



Watercolor Pochade

Here is another pochade that fits my watercolor palette and paper.  





Cuter lid stop that shows clearly shows its function




Clunky Yet Functional Feet

Used scraps to make the feet (again function over aesthetics here) for table top use. 



With the tripod quick latch ...




... and without.

If time allows I am hoping to make a flat large surface to clip to the tripod for larger pieces.  No matter what I am looking very forward to test driving these babies at Nimrod Hall Art Colony where I will be teaching this weekend!



A rough place to teach and paint, but someone has to do it! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment