.

.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Getting Wilder with Watercolor!

I am always amazed at how creating and teaching in the arts cuts across all social barriers.  I have been honored to work with the homeless, the handicapped, even a few "jet setters". But was still blown away when this guy strolled into my watercolor class this spring…



Yup that Doug Wilder, first African American governor of Virginia and the first of the whole United States since reconstruction, VP candidate contention several times, decorated Korean War Veteran, and driving force behind many Black History and Slavery Museum projects. 

In fact he kept appearing in on the front page of our newspaper in-between classes.  Can honestly say I have never had a student do that before...

Coffee Detox?
In fact I had just given up coffee and for a split second thought perhaps my caffeine withdrawal was causing delusions.

Student Work from the same class

(pretty convenient, huh?)




My next thought was that he must be in the wrong place and really here for a reception or press conference.  We do occasionally host those sort of things at VisArts where I work.* 
*In fact our current governor had been there about a year ago when I was teaching.  But since we only passed each other on the stairwell I did not think it was blog worthy; just side note worthy…obviously.

Just Doug
So of course my first question after, “Are you sure you are in my class?”  was “How should I address you?  Mr. Governor?”  “Nope” he said  “just Doug is fine.”


And boom just like that I am on a first name basis with a famous, public historical figure with libraries, schools, named after him.

And oh I get to tell him what to do.

 (OK if I said that was not an ego rush, just for a moment, I would be lying like a rug.)

What Doug Taught Me
Then after the rush, I got nervous…what if my teaching is not up to his standards?  What if he is not pleased with his work in my class?  Will he announce at his next public speaking engagement what an awful teacher I am? (That was an actual dream of mine, crazy huh? Perhaps I should start drinking coffee again…).


Doug working on a childhood self portrait

Happily I had absolutely nothing to worry about.  Doug was honestly one of the most upbeat, hard-working, open-to-suggestion students I have ever worked with in almost 30 years. He obviously put in many hours of work in between classes.  Just look at these studies he did….this from a man who said he has never had any art classes before mine...





                            Study of Michelangelo’s David Eye and Mouth
                                                                  (Braque Method)
  by L Doug Wilder



Loved what he told me in the second class. I think he was using the same voice tone he used with the state legislators when trying to get his budget through. 

“You know this (homework exercise) took a lot more time than I had originally allocated.”

To which I responded

“Welcome to the art world Governor.”


I even told him his work ethic makes me glad I voted for him.  He told me I should be secretary of state.  (Pretty sure he was joking since I think it takes just a little more than a couple of art degrees       for the job).



But what a great class it was! Everyone did fantastic work (maybe we were all trying to impress Mr. Governor, who knows?).  We all also agreed that if Doug could get some watercolor sets and paper to the presidential debates there would be a much more civil and thoughtful dialogue going on than what we have seen in this election cycle so far.


Finishing Strong!



Or maybe he can exhibit his work with another politician-turned-artist who also have a “W” in his name.  

What do you think? 


I think Doug should get top billing if they do...

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, Kathy! Linda Hollett-Bazouzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. I had so much fun with this class! He really was a great student and his persistence just amazed me, inspirational

    ReplyDelete