.

.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Hot 100: Rhythm, Forgiveness and Bouncing Balls


Ever drop the ball sometime?

 Soooo, just who is going to pick these up?


Realism and Forgiveness ....dropping the ball doesn't have to break the flow.



Just catch it on the bounce back up.





I finally figured out how to do this with those stretch, reachable and comfort goals, I mentioned a couple of posts back.  I just used them to break this whole Hot 100 thing into bite-sized daily goals.  I would try to make 4 paintings a day (reachable) but if I made 8 or 12 (stretch) hey, great, pat on the back.  But even if I just moved only one piece of tape on or off a piece of paper that one day (comfort) I thought, "Well at least I moved it forward".  My Hot 100 didn't stay still and it did not go backwards (which would have been a fail to quote my hip middle schooler)

So, I let it bounce.
But I definitely knew I had to do at least the challenge goal the next day...



 This mind set really help to keep me producing at a steady rate.  The sense of forgiveness thrown in ahead of time was liberating.  Initially, I  was afraid it would give me permission to slack off, but that didn't happen. Instead if I missed a day, I did not feel like I let myself down in the long run-no failure, just a smaller goal reached,  It was kept compartmentalized for just that one day.




Whew, what a sense of relief!








Ultimately, along with the studio reconfiguration for convenience, this bouncing ball concept went a long way to creating a sense of rhythm for me; doing my best to even push it even the tiniest bit forward every day and not feeling guilty on that occasional day it all got dropped.  Which happened maybe only twice during the whole 100 series.





Now to be able to transfer this to other areas of life, and to stop juggling delicate balls that break instead of bounce...


1 comment:

  1. Perfect - We all need to incorporate this thought process into our lives!

    ReplyDelete